Simon Zhong

Taxes on rental income received by non-residents

if you are a non-resident and receive rental income from real property in Canada, a non-resident tax at rate of 25% on the gross rental income has to be withheld and remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Non-resident tax has to be withheld

The tax has to be sent to the CRA on or before 15th day of the month following the month the rental income is paid to you. Normally, you can ask your tenant or property manager to remit the tax on your behalf. At the end of year, an NR4 return, Non-Resident Tax Withholding, Remitting, and Reporting, has to be sent to the CRA. The NR4 return shows the total income and the amount of non-resident tax withheld.

Read more ...

Most Read